alt text

I came across a test pattern a few years back in a robotics laboratory that I remember being told was some sort of test pattern to train cameras for robotic vision. It was like some sort of checkerboard pattern but it was not a uniform pattern. The image is my best rendition of it. Does anyone know what this type of pattern is called and what its use is?


3 Answers 3


A fiducial?

alt text a
alt text b

A coded aperture for computational photography?

alt text

A 2D barcode or bokode?

alt text

  • \$\begingroup\$ ah figured out what it was, but that coded aperture is pretty interesting, glad you posted that. \$\endgroup\$
    – stbtra
    Commented May 19, 2010 at 5:35

Another possibility is that it is a "non-repeating pattern" used to establish register between two cameras.


Ok turns out it was a camera calibration pattern.

edit: NM my mistake

  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ Which one matches the image you supplied? \$\endgroup\$
    – W5VO
    Commented May 19, 2010 at 7:34
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Agree with W5VO... most of the pictures on that page look like sheets of dots, not the pixelated creature in your post. \$\endgroup\$
    – J. Polfer
    Commented May 19, 2010 at 20:17
  • \$\begingroup\$ Yeah, Google Image Search just finds regular patterns of dots or checkerboards: google.com/images?q=camera+calibration+pattern It's probably a fiducial marker. \$\endgroup\$
    – endolith
    Commented May 19, 2010 at 21:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.