I was salvaging parts from a broken computer power supply and I noticed the largest toroid had 8 leads. How do I use such a thing? There seem to be 4 inputs and 4 outputs such that there is a pair inputs and a pair of outputs on either side of the device.

I could guess that each input output pair winds in a different direction, but I thought it best ask before I do anything with it.

  • \$\begingroup\$ FAr too little information provided. Photo a good idea. Description of power supply functionality useful. Where it connects (input side or output side. IF on output side it is probably a coupled filtering inductor. If on primary side or between in and out it's almost certainly the main converter transformer. \$\endgroup\$
    – Russell McMahon
    Feb 25, 2012 at 17:26
  • \$\begingroup\$ I did not realize there were so many types of 8 lead toriods. Sorry, but I do not really have much more info on it. I really only have the components of the power supply at this point. \$\endgroup\$ Feb 26, 2012 at 2:13

1 Answer 1


Sounds like you have a quadfilar toroid if it looks similar to this:

quadfilar toroid

Bifilar toroids are wound with 2 parallel insulated wires, trifilar 3 parallel wires.

  • \$\begingroup\$ The wires are not that symmetric looking, but the leads are right (four on either side.) I suppose that seems like a reasonable enough guess. \$\endgroup\$ Feb 26, 2012 at 2:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.