I need a VGA socket for my project (preferably PCB mounted but that's not reevent probably). But I can't find such a thing at any of my usual suppliers.

I presume they have some other name I need to look for? Searching through the many thousand types of connector hasn't helped me so far...

So, my question is, what do I need to look for for a vga socket connector?


1 Answer 1


If you mean this one

enter image description here

that's known under different names, but the most common is D-sub 15 (sub for subminiature, which is a bit odd, since it's not that small). Other names you might encounter are mini D15 or HD15.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Yes that's the one! Thank you, knowing what to search for was my problem :) \$\endgroup\$ Feb 28, 2012 at 9:21
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ It;s called sub-miniature because it was smaller then the miniature connectors when it was introduced. Times have changed, and now we see it as being quite large. \$\endgroup\$ Feb 28, 2012 at 9:52
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Bit o' Trivia: The commonly accepted name is DB-15, however, the CORRECT name (that no one actually uses) is DE-15. The second letter denotes the case size. This stems from DB-25 being the old serial port cables (on what we now know as parallel port connector) switching to the 9 pin version. Should have been DE-9, but was mistakenly called DB-9. Since the VGA is the same size, it probably pulled in the DB designation. \$\endgroup\$ Feb 28, 2012 at 20:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.