Can I use the output of an NPN proximity switch as the input to an LM7805 (positive input) voltage regulator? I'm a little confused on PNP vs NPN, but I'm reading as fast as I can. Also I see that they make an LM79xx series of VR's that, I think, accept a negative voltage as the input, would this negative voltage come from an NPN style device? Thanks, Jim G.

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Is there a reason why you don't want to use a regulator with an enable input? \$\endgroup\$ Dec 9, 2016 at 2:15

1 Answer 1


You want a PNP type. That type sources current.

If you need to use an existing NPN type you can add a high side switch, but at that point you'd perhaps be be better off using a regulator with an enable input as @Ignatio suggests.

Here is one way to do the former:


simulate this circuit – Schematic created using CircuitLab

The proper choice of R1/R2/Q2 depends on the current you intend to draw from U1.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.