Can anybody tell me what this connector is called and how I could purchase one for my own prototype board?

This is a picture of a Nintendo Wii motherboard (bottom) and the bluetooth adapter (top). I'd like to connect this bluetooth adapter to my own board for a project I'm working on so I need a connector like the one on the motherboard.

Wii Bluetooth Adapter

Here is another picture of both the board connector and module plug:

Wii Bluetooth Module and Connector

Thanks for any help!

  • \$\begingroup\$ looks like a custom DIP socket aka proprietary \$\endgroup\$ – Sunnyskyguy EE75 Dec 14 '16 at 3:55
  • \$\begingroup\$ share the pitch, height info \$\endgroup\$ – Umar Dec 14 '16 at 4:05
  • \$\begingroup\$ The connector is really, really small so I don't have anything to measure it. If this is needed and you can't help without it, I understand and appreciate the help anyway! \$\endgroup\$ – SofaKng Dec 14 '16 at 4:06
  • \$\begingroup\$ unless measurement is done, part cannot be identified. if not identified, cannot be used in the project \$\endgroup\$ – Umar Dec 14 '16 at 5:38
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Please photograph against a ruler for size reference avoiding perspective as much as possible. I would recommend investing in a vernier for measurements. \$\endgroup\$ – whatnick Dec 14 '16 at 6:19

It is very similar to the Hirose DF40 surface-mount "riser" connector. But I don't see any 16-pin versions. I wonder if that isn't a 20-pin version with the two end pins missing from each end?

Ref: https://www.hirose.com/product/en/download_file/key_name/DF40/category/Catalog/doc_file_id/31649/

  • \$\begingroup\$ I would ask over on EEVblog Forum \$\endgroup\$ – Richard Crowley Dec 14 '16 at 5:09

If the quest is to find the connector type only, then it is very close to the slimstack connectors from Molex.


Images for reference: 16 pins are available. Unless pitch and mated height is known, a single part cannot be identified.

enter image description here enter image description here


Just to add, although I know it's been a while. I've measured it and the exact part number is Molex 0541020164.



I call them "board to board" connectors. Connector of this style have become very common in laptops, etc, and are made by all the usual connector companies in a variety of sizes and stacking heights.

You can search Digi-Key.com under the connector subcategory "Rectangular - Board to Board Connectors - Arrays, Edge Type, Mezzanine." You might be able to determine the manufacturer and model of those with enough detective work.



I think it's this one. The matching part is down the page a bit.

  • 4
    \$\begingroup\$ This is the same product already suggested in the answer by Umar. Posting repetitions of the same answer is generally discouraged here. \$\endgroup\$ – Jules Aug 28 '18 at 21:38
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Jules I'm not sure if this is the same connector family that Umar had suggested. \$\endgroup\$ – Nick Alexeev Aug 29 '18 at 5:36
  • \$\begingroup\$ @NickAlexeev - it definitely is: click on the link on Umar's post, select the 0.5mm pitch, and scroll down the list - the same part number is found in the 20-40 page of results. \$\endgroup\$ – Jules Aug 29 '18 at 10:11
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Jules I've followed Umar's link. The Molex family numbers at Umar's link were different. [Unless I've missed something.] \$\endgroup\$ – Nick Alexeev Aug 30 '18 at 3:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.