This question is probably easy, but as a total electrican noob I couldn't really find a suitable answer so far.

Some circuits, like amplifiers, require a -12V and a +12V rail respect to the ground. Given that I have only one 0-12V supply that is reasonably powerful, the simple question is:

What would be the simplest way to get that -12V out of the supply, with a reasonable (say 500mA, more=better) current?

The things I already know: the -12V - 0V - 12V is alike the 0 - 12V - 24V setup. (But what if I need to connect this circuit's ground to another? What if I have a common ground with the supply? Then I do need -12V.) I also have a basic understanding of amplifiers, transistors etc.

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Search for keywords 'inverting charge pump.' Some step-down converter ICs can also invert the input voltage. \$\endgroup\$ – calcium3000 Dec 30 '16 at 15:01
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ From one of the usual suspects: linear.com/parametric/Inverting_Regulators \$\endgroup\$ – Peter Smith Dec 30 '16 at 15:05
  • \$\begingroup\$ @calcium3000 and PeterSmith Thank you! These are pretty much what I searched for. \$\endgroup\$ – Neinstein Dec 30 '16 at 15:11
  • \$\begingroup\$ Isolating dc to dc converters will also do what you want. \$\endgroup\$ – Andy aka Dec 30 '16 at 15:19
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ A simple diode charge pump will give you a little less than two diode drops below what you start with. \$\endgroup\$ – Neil_UK Dec 30 '16 at 16:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.