To begin with, my experience and knowledge in electronics are very limited. I am familiar with Ohm's law, but only in theory.
I'm developing a small device for which I need a nichrome wire to glow for a minimum of 5 seconds. It shall be powered by a battery, as small as possible. The whole device is disposable so it doesn't matter if the battery goes flat after 5 seconds. The nichrome wire needs to be at least 0.2 mm diameter and 3-5 cm long (but the longer/thicker the better).
I have read every forum covering this topic and have figured out that I need a battery that can supply enough current. I was therefore thinking of the high capacity coin cell battery CR2477 (1000mAh, 3V).
I have found this great website that lets you calculate power requirements for a given wire: http://www.jacobs-online.biz/nichrome/NichromeCalc.html
When I insert my values (5 cm wire, 32 gage, 2V) I get a required current of 1.15 amps. I inserted 2V because of internal resistance of the battery, don't know if that was correct.
Will the CR2477 battery be able to deliver this current for 5 seconds? Or will it explode or burn? In the data sheet of the battery I read a max pulse current of 25mA. But I was thinking that if a standard 9V battery could do the job, this one will also, because it's got a higher capacity (though lower voltage).
I'd like to have an idea of the risks before I start experimenting at home.
Can anybody give a hint if this will work or if it's useless/dangerous? Thanks in advance!