I want to take a +12V power supply and duplicate it creating

1- +12v out 1- -12v out

easier said than done?


closed as unclear what you're asking by Voltage Spike, uint128_t, ThreePhaseEel, nidhin, pipe Feb 23 '17 at 15:42

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • \$\begingroup\$ what else power supply is available? how much current /load are you expecting for the generated dual polarity 12 V? \$\endgroup\$ – Umar Feb 16 '17 at 7:27
  • \$\begingroup\$ What you are looking for are dc/dc converters. \$\endgroup\$ – Botnic Feb 16 '17 at 7:30
  • \$\begingroup\$ What power? For low power you can use switched capacitor voltage converter LM7660. \$\endgroup\$ – Curd Feb 16 '17 at 10:38
  • \$\begingroup\$ Less than 1A. Yeah DC/DC converter schematic is what I need! \$\endgroup\$ – Thebosshagz Feb 16 '17 at 15:06
  • \$\begingroup\$ Look at 75XX equivalent DC to DC converters from CUI (and a few other companies, some can't go negative), they can be put in positive and negative modes and their easy to use. \$\endgroup\$ – Voltage Spike Feb 16 '17 at 16:56

What you need is a switching inverting regulator capable of dealing with +12V at its input and supplying enough current for your application.

However, keep in mind you'll require additional components and that laying out a good PCB may be critical! It will be something like this (the image shows +5V to -5V but the device is capable of +12V to -12V as well):

Inverting converter

Some devices that you may find useful:

You may also like to consider a commercially available pre-assembled board.


You can use something like TPS65131-Q1, a positive and negative output DC-DC converter. Below is an application schematic diagram:


Note that this converter can take only 2.7--5.5V on its input while having dual output up to 15V and down to -15V. For this reason you would have to:

1) Choose a more suitable DC-DC converter that has a dual positive/negative output.

2) Step down potential difference from the output of your power supply (+12V). You can use a linear voltage regulator or a simple buck converter. It depends on how much current the load needs. Also, it would be good if this buck converter wouldn't switch at the same frequency as TPS65131-Q1 (minimum 1.25Mhz).


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.