I hope the question is not off-topic: I want to know "why" it failed more than how I should use my equipment, even though the questions are probably linked.
The power supply is a 0-3A, 0-30V lab power supply (LABPS23023). I fried it trying to charge a 20AH 3.2V LiFePo single cell battery. I had set the supply to 3.8V for the initial charging as recommended, and the current limitation pot halfway (~1.5A, way below the max recommended 1C). Since the battery was only 3.3V stock, and that the power supply had both voltage and current limitation, I thought I would be safe.
Result = heavy instant smoke in the power supply. Not even a blown fuse.
Did the battery "feed" power into the PS instead of the opposite, and the latter would be seriously unable to withstand it?
I highly suspect my understanding is both naive and incomplete. Would a simple heavy duty diode have protected the power supply, but would it be charged in this case?