I'm experimenting with PIC microcontrollers and various related circuits both on plugboards and simple homemade PCBS.
I'd like to use various old AC power adaptors I have lying around to power my circuits instead of relying on batteries all the time. I have several old mobile phone chargers for example that give out 5v with 500-1000mA of available power. ( I realise they are likely unregulated and I'd need a regulator circuit or similar).
My worry is that that they are very cheaply made so what happens if I accidentally short circuit one or try to draw 1000mA from a 500mA supply.
Are they likely protected against such abuse in any way even if only by an internal fuse? Or are they likely to be severely damaged or worse overheat and catch fire or something? Or will they simply deliver their maximum current and continue working?
None of this is likely to happen, but I want to be safe?
I doubt this affects the answer but this is the UK with a 240v mains supply.