Do USB connectors come in protected versions suitable for damp, vibration prone environments? If so, what terms should I use when searching for them?

If not, what are my options for meeting the USB wiring and connectors standards without standard USB connectors? Can I use different cables and connectors and "make up" for the electrical differences by terminating the ends differently?

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ What kind of rating do you really need? The IEC IP Code is a great way to determine what you need. Bear in mind all of those ratings are done at 25C. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code \$\endgroup\$ – Kris Bahnsen Apr 10 '12 at 21:00
  • \$\begingroup\$ You can improve the question by specifying a specific property you are looking for in the title and the question. At the moment it is very broad and can not help others. \$\endgroup\$ – Jonas Stein Nov 10 '18 at 13:52

You mean like this?

Industrial USB

These are really just normal USB connectors, but with a strong, waterproof connector over the top of them. This holds them in place despite vibration, protects them from mechanical abuse, and keeps the water out.

I think the key word you need is 'industrial'. Farnell stock a bunch of them.

Also, take a look at the Bulgin datasheet. From this, you can get the part numbers for the panel mount, and cable mount versions of the connector.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Looks good, except I'm now having trouble finding cable mount receptacles and plugs. I need both sides to mate and not be panel mounts. I've also tried "shrouded" and "latching" as keywords, but am still finding it difficult to get what I want. I'll keep searching though. Thanks! \$\endgroup\$ – Adam Davis Apr 10 '12 at 21:01
  • \$\begingroup\$ @AdamDavis Added a link to the Bulgin datasheet. \$\endgroup\$ – Rocketmagnet Apr 10 '12 at 21:20
  • \$\begingroup\$ I would recommend search terms environmentally sealed USB cable. It found some cables and connectors that may be useful for you (including Bulgin Buccaneer, which Rocketmagnet suggested). Thumbing through DigiKey, Mouser, Newark, etc catalog would help too. \$\endgroup\$ – Nick Alexeev Apr 10 '12 at 21:33
  • \$\begingroup\$ molex.com/molex/products/… it looks like they have sealed cables, including USB: molex.com/molex/products/…. \$\endgroup\$ – ben Apr 10 '12 at 21:58
  • \$\begingroup\$ "nema rated" and "IP rated" are also good search terms \$\endgroup\$ – Kris Bahnsen Apr 10 '12 at 23:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.