I asked a similar question a few days ago which I got my answer to, but I'm asking a new question now which is unrelated. I'm thinking of buying this audio amplifier: http://www.ebay.com/itm/191879583686 It has a dual gang potentiometer with 6 pins that I believe is acting as a voltage divider, which I want to replace with a wheel potentiometer. The only wheel pots that I believe to exist are 3 pin and 5 pin. If I used the 3 pins, I would have to use two of them (which I don't want). I'm not sure how the 5 pin ones work though, or whether or not it could be replace with the dual gang 6 pin pot. The wheel I'm looking at is this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/122360414148 It says its a dual dial, though I'm not sure if that's the same as a dual gang. If it is, why does this one only have 5 and how could I replace the 6?

  • \$\begingroup\$ What does the datasheet say? \$\endgroup\$ Apr 24 '17 at 0:57

It is the same as a dual gang, except in some cases, where there are 5, each "gang" shares a terminal (probably #1). So you will have two "input," two "output," and one shared ground. You will need a data sheet or multimeter to figure out which is which for sure.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Okay, so I should have no problem replacing it with a 5 pin wheel as long as I know which pin is which? \$\endgroup\$
    – MH0517
    Apr 24 '17 at 2:28
  • \$\begingroup\$ That's right. And another note... If you look at the image of the "bottom" of the amp, you can see the 6 pins of the pot - two of which are connected together. Your 5-pin pot just does that same thing internally. \$\endgroup\$
    – Jay
    Apr 24 '17 at 3:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.