I'm building a tester and want to use existing test leads from my multimeter which has these kinds of connectors.

enter image description here

The testing probes use these plugs.

enter image description here

What kind of connector (or is it a "plug"?) do I need to buy to accept my existing test probes?

(And just how badly am I mangling the terminology here?)


These are generally standard 4mm banana connectors. The specific ones you show are shrouded ones. They need to be shrouded in order for your multimeter to meet its safety specs. For the male connectors, standard connectors can be used in jacks designed to take shrouded ones. In the other direction, this is not the case - a shrouded plug cannot go into a unshrouded jack (because the shroud will be in the way)

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ I know them under shrouded, not shielded. \$\endgroup\$ – PlasmaHH May 10 '17 at 13:18
  • \$\begingroup\$ Yeah, mixup on my part. Fixed. \$\endgroup\$ – Joren Vaes May 10 '17 at 13:19
  • \$\begingroup\$ Well I did ask about my terminology. :) So I need 2 4mm shrouded banana jacks. \$\endgroup\$ – The Evil Greebo May 10 '17 at 13:21
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Tut I alwys get these mixed up... \$\endgroup\$ – Joren Vaes May 10 '17 at 13:22
  • \$\begingroup\$ They are sometimes called sheathed rather than shrouded. \$\endgroup\$ – Spehro Pefhany May 10 '17 at 13:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.