What is the name of this device?

Enter image description here

  • \$\begingroup\$ It doesn't make a lot of sense in this context, but I've seen a similar symbol used to denote a constant current source or current mirror. Take a look at page 17 of this application note from TI. \$\endgroup\$ – Caleb Reister Jun 5 '17 at 4:06

It's the symbol for an adjustable transformer. See yourself:

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |
  • \$\begingroup\$ What is the difference between a variac transformer and the transformer that is shown? They both adjust the output voltage but have different symbols? \$\endgroup\$ – Szymon M. Jun 4 '17 at 22:39
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ @SzymonM. I never use such transformer... I just know the symbol. I suggest you to make a new topic here. Explain clearly what you know and what is your question. People will answer quickly \$\endgroup\$ – M.Ferru Jun 4 '17 at 22:42
  • \$\begingroup\$ @SzymonM. There are lots of symbols and names. The challenge when looking at any schematic is identifying what specific symbols mean. Adjustable transformer = variac = autotransformer = variable transformer. \$\endgroup\$ – StainlessSteelRat Jun 4 '17 at 22:49
  • \$\begingroup\$ I would assume that the overlapping circle symbol implies that the coupling between primary and secondary can be varied. A variac is an autotransformer (single winding) where the output connection can be moved along the transformer winding to vary the output voltage. Your symbol may be something only used in power distribution. I haven't seen anything like it while working in electronics. \$\endgroup\$ – Peter Bennett Jun 4 '17 at 23:55
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ StainlessSteelRat: No, they're not the same. A Variac is an "autotransformer", a transformer with just one winding and three, not four terminals. Its output is an adjustable tap. This symbol denotes a more conventional transformer with two windings but with variable inductance. Not the same thing at all. \$\endgroup\$ – Jamie Hanrahan Jun 5 '17 at 1:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.