Just a couple of assumptions before I start as this is a theoretical question
- All signals are <1MHz digital signals
- All signals are single ended, no differential pairs
- The 3 power lines are +5V, -5V and 12V
- The ribbon cable is unshielded
- The ribbon cable is inside a system with various other wiring looms carrying voltages/signals
What is the best placement for signal, power and ground lines within a ribbon cable with regards to EMI.
I have drawn up the two possibilities I could think of which are:
- Interleaving ground lines between each signal/power line
- Using the ground lines to create a barrier between the power and signal lines
Is one of these a better practice than the other or is there an even better solution which I didn't think of?