This is a basic differential amplifier.

enter image description here

I want to modify it in order to have high input impedance (a few \$M\Omega\$ from DC to at least \$200~kHz\$)

I thought about replacing the CE pair input with a CC-CC cascade pair, or a Darlington pair, but I don't think they have good frequency response.

Any suggestion?

I don't really care about the gain, because I will use another stage for that purpose.

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ What ideas do you have to increase the input impedance? Are you permitted to consider JFETs? \$\endgroup\$
    – jonk
    Jul 8, 2017 at 1:47
  • \$\begingroup\$ Real spec? Z of 0.8 pF @ 200 kHz is 1MegOhm \$\endgroup\$
    – sstobbe
    Jul 8, 2017 at 1:56

2 Answers 2


a few ways:

1) reduce Ic;

2) increase current gain;

3) use positive feedback;

5) use fets;



You'll need to boot-strap the C_gate_drain of JFETs, to reach that Zin. Hence the drain of the diffpair cannot be attached to any gain-node.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.