I am working on a project that involes an inverter made with IGBTs. The device I selected for builing the H bridge is this: STGW60H65DFB. One of my roles in this project is also to select a suitable heat-sink for the transistors.

I have done all the calculation needed for the power losses and I found that a single device (STGW60H65DFB) dissipates about 60 W, in particular about 50 W are dissipated on the switch and 10 W on the antiparallel diode. About the thermal data, looking at the datasheet, it says:

RthJC Thermal resistance junction-case IGBT 0.4 °C/W

RthJC Thermal resistance junction-case diode 1.14 °C/W

Now my questions are: should I do the thermal calculations separately for the switch and the diode? Or can I assume an "average" thermal resistance of both?

If I should do separately, should I consider separated powers for diode and switch or use in both the cases the same power (the sum, so 60 Watts)?

Thank you.

  • \$\begingroup\$ At 60 watts, you will be using air cooling? What voltages are you converting? High voltages need more respect, to avoid arc-over as dust builds up over the years. This requires more spacing between traces. \$\endgroup\$ Jul 14, 2017 at 13:41
  • \$\begingroup\$ I am converting 425 Vdc to 240Vrms to inject a power of 10kW to the power line with an inductor filter of 2mH and a current through it of 60A peak to peak. My question is about how to choose the right heat sink. Yes, I will use air cooling with a fan. \$\endgroup\$
    – Simus994
    Jul 14, 2017 at 13:50

1 Answer 1


You have to do it separately because IGBT and diode will have different junction temperatures. In a first approximation you can assume that the heat sink temperature for both devices is the same.

dT,ibgt,jc = 50W * 0.4K/W = 20K

dT,diode,jc = 10 * 1.124W = 11.2K


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.