I am trying to use an TI UA741 opamp and supply it with +12 VDC and -12 VDC. To obtain -12 VDC, i configure the power supply like i have shown below on the picture. Can i get -12 VDC (V2 on Figure 1 that i connected the circuit without any regulator)using this configuration in real life? I am also using a negative voltage regulator L7912CV. I have shown how i intented to design with regulator in Figure 2 that i have roughly shown without peripheral resistors or capacitors. If you share your comments i will be happy. You can advise any other methods to achieve negative voltage. I am just trying to clutch the logic. Thank you.

Figure 1:

enter image description here

Figure 2:

enter image description here

  • \$\begingroup\$ Where is the GND connection of the 7912? \$\endgroup\$
    – Batuu
    Jul 19, 2017 at 14:54
  • \$\begingroup\$ It will be connected to circuit's ground, i just visualized what i want to do roughly. \$\endgroup\$
    – layout789
    Jul 19, 2017 at 14:57
  • \$\begingroup\$ I don't recognize the pin out on the 8 pin device shown in yellow on your 2nd circuit. \$\endgroup\$
    – Andy aka
    Jul 19, 2017 at 14:59
  • \$\begingroup\$ Pin numbers are not important i have updated the picture. \$\endgroup\$
    – layout789
    Jul 19, 2017 at 15:10
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ If your design is meant to solve a real problem (not an academic exercise) please read Reasons not to use a 741 op-amp? before you continue. \$\endgroup\$
    – The Photon
    Jul 19, 2017 at 16:03

1 Answer 1


Theoretically that will work, but only if V2 is a floating (isolated) supply. Many power supplies are actually referenced to the protective earth AKA 3rd prong. These would not obviously work.

For an easy way to generate -12V from +12V, you can use a buck-boost SMPS circuit. TI SLYT286 shows how to use a common buck-converter in an inverting buck-boost configuration. Do note that this will effectively double the voltage so you need something that's OK with 24VDC input. You can obviously use a dedicated buck-boost converter but for actual product designs it's beneficial to use same parts if you can.


If you really want to get fancy, you can do +/- output SMPS circuit using a common mode choke but that's a bit beyond the scope here.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.