I hope this is the right place to ask.

I`m looking for a self retaining pcb connector. It should be 2.54mm pitch. Something like this

enter image description here

I have a lot of boards that have unpopulated serial ports, I need to do firmware upgrades over thi port and I am looking for a cable or plug that retains inside the holes when I let go the cable.

I don`t know how this is called or even if it exists.



closed as off-topic by brhans, PeterJ, pipe, Wesley Lee, rdtsc Jul 27 '17 at 1:38

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Take a look staggered holes from Sparkfun. sparkfun.com/tutorials/114 This keeps the pins 'locked' in. \$\endgroup\$ – JWRM22 Jul 26 '17 at 11:55

If you are doing the layout then the Tag Connect stuff is not bad, use ENIG pads and make sure the locating and mounting holes are to spec and they work well. Remember to omit the solder paste from the contact pads!

Some styles of pogo pin will likely work if you make up suitable jigs, very common in production programming.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Thanks for this, I think I have to figure out a way by myself. The problem is, the PCB are already finished and I hvae this 2.54mm pitch serial port and no chance to change it. The firmware update takes 1 min so it is a game of luck if it works or not :/ \$\endgroup\$ – user129220 Jul 27 '17 at 8:37