Sorry if there is a straight forward answer but my partner has converted a trailer into a drinks unit. She has a fridge a freezer and a coffee machine. Also about 5double sockets and lighting. The question we are stumped on is when applying for venues they asked which 32amp we need single or three? and I haven't the foggiest . If anyone could help would be so grateful.

Many thanks



closed as off-topic by Brian Carlton, PeterJ, Voltage Spike, Dmitry Grigoryev, DoxyLover Aug 3 '17 at 0:42

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions on the use of electronic devices are off-topic as this site is intended specifically for questions on electronics design." – Brian Carlton, PeterJ, Voltage Spike, Dmitry Grigoryev, DoxyLover
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • \$\begingroup\$ What country? You give no clue in your question or user profile. \$\endgroup\$ – Transistor Jul 28 '17 at 19:25
  • \$\begingroup\$ If the thing will work with a single 32 Amp circuit, I'd go with single phase, assuming that 3-phase power is not universally available. You could make an adaptor cable to permit a single-phase connector to be plugged into a 3-phase outlet, using only one phase, just in case you find a venue that has only three-phase outlets. \$\endgroup\$ – Peter Bennett Jul 28 '17 at 19:40
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Show a photo of your trailer fuseboard and the plug on the mains lead to your trailer. \$\endgroup\$ – Transistor Jul 28 '17 at 19:45

This answer assumes that you are in Europe.

enter image description here enter image description here

Figure 1. 32 A single phase plug and socket (left) and 3-phase (right).

The single-phase connectors have three pins: live (L), neutral (N) and earth (E).

The three-phase connectors have five pins: live 1 (L1), live 2 (L2), live 3 (L3), neutral (N) and earth (E).

It is more than likely that your trailer has been wired for single phase.


The biggest question will be what the fridge and freezer takes, single-phase or three-phase ... only you, your partner, or electrician can answer that.

  • \$\begingroup\$ I thought only the stove used three-phase. \$\endgroup\$ – Harry Svensson Jul 28 '17 at 21:31
  • \$\begingroup\$ Be careful here! On past experience when a snackwaggon talks about a coffee machine it can mean anything from a little single phase thing plugged into a domestic socket up to some sort of monster expresso rig with loads of chrome and live steam from a 10kW boiler! If single phase is all you need then that is far more commonly available, but if you need three phase, you need three phase. \$\endgroup\$ – Dan Mills Jul 28 '17 at 22:06

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.