I have a male stereo jack that I took apart from my old dead ear buds and I decided that I want to build a new set of earbuds with the stereo jack. Problem is I don't know what parts are the left, right, and ground for this stereo jack since it is a different design compared to others I found online. I am particularly new to this so any help would be appreciated.

This is the stereo jack

  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ Did you google the pinout for earbuds? \$\endgroup\$
    – Bort
    Sep 26, 2017 at 2:07
  • \$\begingroup\$ I did but I couldn't find any specifically for the design above \$\endgroup\$
    – George C.
    Sep 26, 2017 at 2:32
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ "...for this stereo jack since it is a different design compared to others I found online." This looks very similar to any other male stereo jack... can you explain how it's different? There's no other way we can help you unless you know something about this part. Like, where did you get this part? Who's the manufacturer? \$\endgroup\$
    – user103380
    Sep 26, 2017 at 3:59

2 Answers 2


For Jack Plugs, aka TRS connectors (Tip, Ring, Sleeve), the standard can be remembered by the Three R's

Red Right Ring

The RIGHT channel is on the RING of a TRS connector, on the RED wire in a lead, and on the RED one of a pair of mono sockets.


The picture is a 3.5mm or 2.5mm stereo connector.

enter image description here

Ref.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.