0
\$\begingroup\$

I'm trying to build a simple motor with the help of some youtube tutorials but nothing seems to spin... so I figures ok let's connect the ends of the battery and see if that the problem. If I get electrocuted then everything is all right lol. I tried with 2 batteries and nothing happened... Does someone have an idea what the problem might be? I'm using a 1.5V battery, is that maybe too little?

The wire isn't isolated, so I really have no idea what the problem is.

\$\endgroup\$

closed as unclear what you're asking by pipe, winny, Bimpelrekkie, PeterJ, Voltage Spike Oct 12 '17 at 17:41

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 5
    \$\begingroup\$ What did you expect to happen? \$\endgroup\$ – Trevor_G Oct 11 '17 at 16:44
  • \$\begingroup\$ I hope that's not how you check whether your circuit breaker is working or not. \$\endgroup\$ – calcium3000 Oct 11 '17 at 16:46
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Where did you get this "copper wire" from? It could be enameled (insulated). And yes, it's unclear to me what do you expect to happen. It will probably get hot and the battery will die quickly. \$\endgroup\$ – Eugene Sh. Oct 11 '17 at 16:46
  • \$\begingroup\$ Do you not own a multimeter? They are extremely cheap \$\endgroup\$ – MCG Oct 11 '17 at 17:00
  • \$\begingroup\$ I expected to feel heat or electricity somehow, idk :P \$\endgroup\$ – M. Wother Oct 11 '17 at 17:54
2
\$\begingroup\$

1.5v isn't enough to "electrocute" you. In fact, it may not even be enough to make a visible spark when you short the battery. (Shorting a battery is, by the way, a Bad Idea. There's a chance of leakage, overheating, all the bad stuff.)

If the battery and the wire didn't get warm during the short, the battery probably wasn't any good to begin with. Even a AA should change noticeably. Maybe there's something wrong with your motor construction? Weak magnets? There are a lot of improvised motor designs. Post a link to the one you're using and maybe some hypotheses can be raised.

\$\endgroup\$
  • \$\begingroup\$ youtube.com/watch?v=bH7DFPIayNg I tried moving the magnet around also but I get zero response \$\endgroup\$ – M. Wother Oct 11 '17 at 16:49
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Are you certain you adequately removed the enamel from your wire? It can be hard to see, but it will prevent current from flowing. \$\endgroup\$ – evildemonic Oct 11 '17 at 17:02
  • \$\begingroup\$ I actually didn't even to that.... Ok that might be the problem. I thought copper wire conducts as it is \$\endgroup\$ – M. Wother Oct 11 '17 at 17:19
  • \$\begingroup\$ Magnet wire, such as you would use to wind the coil for a motor, is insulated with a thin tough enamel coating. At first glance, it may appear to be bare copper. You need to remove the enamel to make contact with the actual copper conductor. \$\endgroup\$ – Peter Bennett Oct 11 '17 at 17:41
  • \$\begingroup\$ Is it possible to overdo it? Because I removed it everywhere and it still won't spin \$\endgroup\$ – M. Wother Oct 11 '17 at 19:16

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.