This may be more of a mechanical question, but does anyone know what these magnetic power connectors are called? You see these on Fitbits and other IoT devices.

I'm building an IoT board, that has a waterproofing requirement so a USB connector is out.

Typically there are these magnetic "dots" insert molded in a plastic enclosure, and then the DC adapter has a custom molded connector with matching "dots" that magnetically link to the unit.

Here is a image from a device that has the "dots" I am talking about.

Is there a name or manufacturer/s that are selling these pieces off-the-shelf, for designing electronics with these magnetic "dots"?

I'm thinking someone must sell a premade cable, like USB male end to "dots" on the other end, that you can put in a USB female end wall wart.

enter image description here

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ magnetic+pogo+pins. \$\endgroup\$
    – Transistor
    Commented Oct 13, 2017 at 17:19
  • \$\begingroup\$ Boom goes the dynamite. Thanks, that's EXACTLY what I was looking for! \$\endgroup\$
    – Leroy105
    Commented Oct 13, 2017 at 17:24
  • \$\begingroup\$ I don't know of any USB cables that use magnetic pogo pins for the USB-male connector, but there are a number of micro-USB cables where the male micro-USB connector uses magnetic pogo pins. \$\endgroup\$
    – jamesdlin
    Commented Oct 14, 2017 at 1:05

2 Answers 2


You are looking for magnetic+pogo+pins.

enter image description here

Figure 1. One of many types available.


Don't immediately discard a convenient usb connector, there are several waterproof options out there.

One of many types available.

  • \$\begingroup\$ I am using a similar waterproof connector, but without USB... \$\endgroup\$
    – Leroy105
    Commented Oct 27, 2017 at 20:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.