What would I search for to find some information about this sort of switch and/or a replacement?

It's just two copper strips embedded in an insulator that get mashed together by a button. It says 'JX-10' on it but that doesn't seem to help my search.

It sits in the base of an electrical heater resting on a plastic peg. The peg rests on the floor and the weight of the heater pushes down on it closing the contacts. If the heater falls over, the contacts separate automatically.

The switch I'm trying to identify

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Looks like a thermostat to me. \$\endgroup\$
    – Eugene Sh.
    Oct 18, 2017 at 21:15
  • \$\begingroup\$ It's in a heater but that's not what it's being used for! Added some description of where it is used. \$\endgroup\$
    – JeffUK
    Oct 18, 2017 at 21:18
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ It looks like a broken switch to me... But seriously, it may well be custom if it is from a mass produced product. \$\endgroup\$
    – Trevor_G
    Oct 18, 2017 at 21:18
  • \$\begingroup\$ @trevor, I guess casting some insulator and sticking some copper in isn't exactly rocket science; it is broken. \$\endgroup\$
    – JeffUK
    Oct 18, 2017 at 21:20
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ It's basically a push-to-make, spring release button similar to a doorbell but probably with longer stroke and softer spring. There is no sign of toggle action in it so it will probably arc when opening slowly under load. \$\endgroup\$
    – Transistor
    Oct 18, 2017 at 23:26


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.