I declare I'm kinda noob in electronics, but I know the most basics and I wanted to take some measurements so I could get used to them in practice.
4xAA alkaline batteries in series with little use and measured at about 6V (so definitely not dead).
Battery positive to multimeter to 1Kohm resistance to LED to battery negative.
Multimeter (DT9205A+) black cable connected to COM and the red to mA and the switch pointing to DC current (tested all values).
When the circuit closes, the LED lights up and the multimeter shows 1 on the left (that is overflow indication). That happens with every scale of the DC current measuring setting. When the red cable goes to the greater current input (up to 20A), it displays 0, but that means it's just too small a value to display anything. I've tested with other setups and the large scale input seems to be working properly.
Since the mA input says it's fused and I'm a noob, I would expect to have somehow burn the fuse. But the circuit closes (the LED lights up) and I've also opened the multimeter and seen the fuse to be ok.
Any suggestion as to what could be wrong (either with my multimeter, or my setup) would be much appreciated!