2
\$\begingroup\$

Something in my bike (USB Charger, Hella Socket itself) has made a short circuit leading to deep discharge of Lead-Acid battery.

Battery was down to 5.2V for time counted in minutes. I've disconnected load sources and recharged the battery using recovery function.

Now battery keeps at quite rock-solid 12.6-12.4V, but I'm wondering how much damage this undervoltage could made? Was there enough time to create thick Sulfur coating on electrodes?

\$\endgroup\$
  • \$\begingroup\$ You should mention that this is apparently a 12 V battery. Without that information, there is no way to judge what 5.2 V means. \$\endgroup\$ – Olin Lathrop Nov 6 '17 at 11:55
0
\$\begingroup\$

Your battery has most likely lost some capacity. If this is a "car" battery, then it is probably significantly damaged. If it is a industrial battery with "deep cycle" capability, then it should be less damaged.

Read the datasheet. If this is a consumer item that doesn't have a datasheet, assume significant damage.

\$\endgroup\$

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.