Can I pass the signal of a (iepe) vibration sensor over a shielded twisted pair instead of the recommended coax cable?

The signal also needs to travel over 30-meter cable.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Who recommends coax? This application note recommends shielded twisted pair and that coax not be used in a permanent installation: wilcoxon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/… (p. 10) \$\endgroup\$ – user133493 Dec 3 '17 at 7:37
  • \$\begingroup\$ @user1714223: I don't think you can assume that many will know what an 'iepe' (all lower case?) sensor is. You should add a part number and datasheet link. If it is sending out a high-frequency signal you need to give details on that too. \$\endgroup\$ – Transistor Dec 3 '17 at 8:23
  • \$\begingroup\$ @replete I actually saw small iepe vibration sensors being manufactured with coax connectors and sold with matching cables. Not an unusual choice. \$\endgroup\$ – Marcus Müller Dec 4 '17 at 23:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.