I formed a startup business six months ago. The first product has been designed consisting of a PCB, some firmware, verification tests, and some supporting PC-based application software. The first prototype is ready for commercialism. Therefore I am looking to add a team to help bring this to market and to further build this venture.
To do this I am looking for ways to collaborate with these new team members, some of which are located all around the country in different time zones. The team will be expanding from just embedded design to include: mechanical designs for enclosures, website design, and business and marketing development. I have looked at a dozen or so web-based tools. Many charge a monthly or annual fee and start you off with a crippled free starter site.
I am not looking for recommendations here in this post. These are easy to find via Google. What I am looking for is useful comments from engineers who have used collaboration tools in the past. I'm looking for something more extensive than just GitHub. This startup is based on embedded products so comments from working hardware and software engineers are very important.
- What features did you like?
- Did the team welcome it's use, or did interest wane as the project moved on?
- What features were missing and you wish were included?
- Which features were too complicated or could be simplified?
- How were files shared and stored? Or did you just use something like Dropbox?
- What would you use in your next project?
I welcome any comments on your experiences with collaboration tools? Maybe this post will start a dialog useful to other embedded engineers. Thanks to readers of this posting.