I would like to build a 5v circuit that uses an sd card and a 3.3v SPI screen and for the level shifting I would like to use the common mosfet circuit, but all versions I have seen use a BSS138 which comes just in surface mount format.

Are there other alternatives to this mosfet that come in through hole format? like TO-92 format?

I was thinking of using a BS-170, is it ok for my use?

Note: The SPI clock will be 8 MHz

The circuit I'll be using (Source sparkfun's level shifting tutorial)

The circuit I'll be using (Source sparkfun's level shifting tutorial)

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/18457/… Russell McMahon provides an excellent description of how this circuit works, and what to look for in a MOSFET for it. \$\endgroup\$
    – Colin
    Jan 10, 2018 at 16:11
  • \$\begingroup\$ Great link @Colin__s, thanks for that! I forgot all about that answer. \$\endgroup\$
    – DerStrom8
    Jan 10, 2018 at 16:16
  • \$\begingroup\$ Sadly the alternative he provides is not available with the provider I'm buying from. Are there other alternatives? (Edit) wait, it is available, the search engine just lied to me lol. Thanks for the link \$\endgroup\$
    – user147140
    Jan 10, 2018 at 16:37
  • \$\begingroup\$ Does this signal really need to be bi-directional? \$\endgroup\$
    – Trevor_G
    Jan 10, 2018 at 17:09
  • \$\begingroup\$ No it doesn't, but is the simplest circuit I could find, as with other options I would need to have 2 different IC, one for the 5v to 3.3v signals and the other ic for the signals coming back. \$\endgroup\$
    – user147140
    Jan 10, 2018 at 17:33