I am trying to incorporate a LEM LAH 100-P current sensor into a project. It requires a dual polarity voltage supply between +/- 12 and 15 volts. What is the best way to implement it?

Digi-key has an article which references many other application notes. But I don't have knowledge of power electronics which makes adapting them difficult. This application note seems promising but components used are for an output of -3.3 to -5.5 volts (part at digikey and datasheet).

Figure from the application note: enter image description here

What components could be used to create a negative supply of 12 to 15 volts? Any suggestions welcomed.


closed as off-topic by The Photon, PlasmaHH, Andy aka, RoyC, Chupacabras Jan 31 '18 at 20:43

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ Charge pump is probably a good match for your requirement (~10 mA). Did you look at Maxim's other charge pump parts? \$\endgroup\$ – The Photon Jan 31 '18 at 1:17
  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ Just buy a +/- 12V module such as this: digikey.com/products/en/power-supplies-board-mount/… \$\endgroup\$ – Jack Creasey Jan 31 '18 at 1:21
  • \$\begingroup\$ What input will you provide AC ? DC? Output is only 10mA @+/-15V \$\endgroup\$ – Sunnyskyguy EE75 Jan 31 '18 at 1:38
  • \$\begingroup\$ Take a look at ICL7662. Old charge pump chip that works well and still around. \$\endgroup\$ – Vince Patron Jan 31 '18 at 1:48
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ @VincePatron the ICL7662 switches at an annoyingly audible 10 kHz. Better to use a higher frequency part. \$\endgroup\$ – τεκ Jan 31 '18 at 4:48

As it already has been stated in different comments to the original question, there are different possibilities.

You could use in increasing order of complexity:

  • a DC/DC power supply module (typically a plug and play 'block')
  • a charge pump (essentially a controller IC with capacitors)
  • an inverting switching power supply (essentially a controller IC with inductor)
  • an added winding on an existing AC/DC power supply

Since you ask this question, I would suggest you select the first option. Not the cheapest but it is the most fail safe.

For the first 3 options, you can easily use the selection criteria at the large component distributors (Mouser, Farnell, Digi-Key, RS) and select the appropriate input and output voltage range and output current requirement.


An easy solution is to use a 780X DC to DC power converter, you could even mock one up for use on the bench with wire and an iron.

Below is shown for a 5V supply, they also have 12V or 15V that would be the same circuit but different part.

enter image description here


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.