I am looking to do a circuit to switch a 12 VAC of a device to the ground.
I intend to use a microcontroller to drive the TRIAC.
The goal here is only to short the 12 VAC of a device to its ground.
What kind of TRIAC do I need to do that ?

  • \$\begingroup\$ What is the device, and why do you want to 'short' the 12VAC to ground? \$\endgroup\$ – Bruce Abbott Feb 1 '18 at 17:28
  • \$\begingroup\$ This needs more info, also are you aware that a turned-on triac will not be a short, but will have some voltage across it which may not be negligible here? \$\endgroup\$ – peufeu Feb 1 '18 at 20:02
  • \$\begingroup\$ I removed the references to an Arduino as the question is related to TRIACs and to any microcontroller. Questions which reference Arduinos are likely to get moved to the Arduino page - which would be incorrect in this case. You should provide a circuit diagram and explain what you are tring to achieve - ie "shorting" an AC source is probably not exactly what you want to do. Also voltage and current requirements are needed. \$\endgroup\$ – Russell McMahon Feb 1 '18 at 20:03
  • \$\begingroup\$ To control a TRIAC with a microcontroller you need to drive its gate at a specified voltage and current level. It is likely to be easier/better to use a TRIAC driver opto-coupler such as a MOC3023 data sheet here.(The 3023 needs the lowest drive current of the 302x series). \$\endgroup\$ – Russell McMahon Feb 1 '18 at 23:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.