I have been coming across so-called "band switching diodes" recently, but I can't figure out what they actually are. Is this some type of RF switching PIN diode?

I came across these while I was searching for a cheap alternative to step recovery diodes. Someone recommended using the BA682, which is a band switching diode.

BA682 link

  • \$\begingroup\$ Have you had a look at that datasheet and the "typical applications"? \$\endgroup\$
    – PlasmaHH
    Commented Feb 12, 2018 at 15:37
  • \$\begingroup\$ arrl.org/files/file/Technology/tis/info/pdf/9101024.pdf \$\endgroup\$ Commented Feb 12, 2018 at 15:41
  • \$\begingroup\$ Yeah, it says "band switching". So is it a PIN diode then? Why do I keep finding them listed as Standard diodes on Digikey? \$\endgroup\$ Commented Feb 12, 2018 at 15:43
  • \$\begingroup\$ @ColinMarcus: Its not a pin diode, it would say so. It is just a standard switching diode like 1n4148 or 1n914 or so \$\endgroup\$
    – PlasmaHH
    Commented Feb 12, 2018 at 15:45

1 Answer 1


Planar silicon diode, specified for this application (dynamic resistance) and made with particularly low capacitance (and relatively high forward drop) compared to a jellybean switching diode.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.