So I'm looking at running a plate from the terminal of a battery (26650) and I'm trying to calculate the width of the plate needed given a certain thickness and length as well as a specified current. I have the resistivities of various metals (in order to calculate the best option (price and size of plate) but I'm not sure how to proceed/ what equation I could use. If someone could link me to a webpage with information that would be amazing! Itachi

  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ What on earth does "running a plate" mean? I'm guessing some sort of heating device, but you'll have to be a lot more specific about what your requirements are. \$\endgroup\$ – Dave Tweed Mar 6 '18 at 16:54
  • \$\begingroup\$ How much cooling air flow will you provide? \$\endgroup\$ – analogsystemsrf Mar 6 '18 at 17:27
  • \$\begingroup\$ @DaveTweed I meant something like this imgur.com/k9o2hl4 \$\endgroup\$ – tauhtauhsauce Mar 6 '18 at 19:55

I am going to assume you mean something like a busbar or solid metal conductor with a rectangular cross-section.

  1. You know \$ \rho \$ and its units are Ω⋅m (ohm-metre).

  2. If you divide that by the cross-sectional area of your conductor you will have \$ \frac {Ω \cdot m}{m^2} = \mathrm {Ω/m} \$ which is the resistance per metre of your conductor.

  3. If you multiply the figure obtained in 2 by the length of the conductor you will get \$ \frac {\Omega}{m} \cdot m = \Omega\$, the resistance of the conductor.

  4. From \$ V = IR \$, using R calculated in 3, you can calculate the voltage drop along the conductor for a given current, \$ I \$.

  5. From \$ P = I^2R \$ you can calculate the power in watts (W) dissipated in the conductor.



Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.