12
\$\begingroup\$

The battery in a disposable camera is usually a single 1.5V AA battery. It charges a large capacitor. When the capacitor is fully charged, it will contain a voltage very close to 1.5V correct?

If one was to touch the charged capacitor, it will shock them. Why is this? Surely 1.5V can't do that kind of damage, right?

\$\endgroup\$
1
  • 5
    \$\begingroup\$ A TASER runs on a 9v battery, just sayin. \$\endgroup\$ Jul 27, 2012 at 14:11

1 Answer 1

21
\$\begingroup\$

Photoflash capacitors are charged to hundreds of volts using various methods (flyback transformer, etc). Don't assume that because the input is a AA battery that there are no greater potentials within the circuit.

The example below was taken from a Texas Instruments application note. This circuit is battery powered yet charges a capacitor to 300V.

Photoflash Carger

\$\endgroup\$
2
  • \$\begingroup\$ +1, also electric shockers often run on batteries yet they produce very high voltages using some clever electronics. \$\endgroup\$
    – sharptooth
    Jul 27, 2012 at 7:37
  • \$\begingroup\$ Ah, I never thought that there was a circuit that might be increasing the voltage. \$\endgroup\$
    – blake305
    Jul 29, 2012 at 2:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.