I would like to modulate in amplitude the upper and lower sides of a carrier with two distinct signals. Would it be possible? There is a specific name for this scheme of modulation?

The detection will be made using the sampled data (in the digital domain).

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Sure, probably not going to be easy though. Probably would use two single sideband transmitter circuits synchronized to the same carrier signal. \$\endgroup\$ – C_Elegans Apr 11 '18 at 20:09
  • \$\begingroup\$ what will DC blocking do to the result? \$\endgroup\$ – analogsystemsrf Apr 12 '18 at 4:34
  • \$\begingroup\$ I think I should have said upper envelope and lower envelope modulation, as upper and lower carrier trend to direct the answers to sidebands topic. \$\endgroup\$ – H Krammes Apr 12 '18 at 12:58

Yes, look for ISB modulation (Independent side band modulation), the military used to do it carrying two separate message streams on the two sidebands.

I am not sure there is much benefit these days, but it is not much of a problem to do, two phasing method modulators and just sum the output before up conversion, easy.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.