I just came into possession of a bunch of vintage "audio" gear from the nuclear labs at Los Alamos (a bunch of test oscillators, oscilloscopes, pulse generators, etc). Been checking it out, seeing what works, etc.

A lot of the stuff has a weird AC input that looks like the picture below. Any idea what this connector type is called, and where I might be able to find an adapter to a modern plug?

enter image description here

  • \$\begingroup\$ An old "business machine" power cord connector? Looks like what was on the old electromechanical adding machines and typewriters. \$\endgroup\$
    – AlmostDone
    Commented Apr 27, 2018 at 2:48

1 Answer 1


After some further research I've found out this connector is called a PH-163.

You can find them here: https://marvac.com/products/vintage-switchcraft-lac3gd-ph-163-oval-type-hp-connector-3-pin-round-ac3g

Adapters look like this: https://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Oval-Hewlett-Packard-Power/dp/B011CAFIGC


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.