I want to design an ideal RLC oscillator that generates a sinusoidal voltage and current waverforms. To accomplish this I must provide the energy lost in the resistor. I want to do it from a DC voltage source as simple as possible (with a simple switch?).

How can this be accomplished?

  • \$\begingroup\$ This is usually done with an op amp, though the classic circuits (such as the Colpitts oscillator) use just a single transistor-slash-electron-tube. \$\endgroup\$
    – Hearth
    May 5, 2018 at 1:29
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Felthry I'm targeting power electronics, so a power solution will be better. And the analysis should be ideal, so if possible, completely avoiding the complexity of a real active element. \$\endgroup\$ May 5, 2018 at 7:50
  • \$\begingroup\$ Your above comment now makes the question unclear. Be very clear about your output requirements or add a power amplifier to a simple RLC oscillator. \$\endgroup\$
    – Andy aka
    May 5, 2018 at 8:17
  • \$\begingroup\$ You have no other choice - you must use an amplifier for establishing a positive feedback loop for the desired oscillating frequency (fulfilling Barkhausen`s oscillation condition). \$\endgroup\$
    – LvW
    May 5, 2018 at 8:54
  • \$\begingroup\$ If you want to make an inverter, this isn't the way to go about doing it. \$\endgroup\$
    – Hearth
    May 5, 2018 at 13:28


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.