I want to ask a few questions that relate to solar panels and the charging of batteries. I have looked all over the internet for answers but have not found anything that answers my concerns. The most obvious ones I think I know already but just want clarification. Thanks in advance and I appreciate all the help offered.
1) If charging a battery by solar, could I theoretically wire many parallel solar panels together to increase the speed of charge without damaging the batteries, given the voltage is correct?
2) If I had a 12v 1amp panel, and 8x 1.5v batteries in a series, would that be ok to wire together, or must the voltage supply be 1.5v?
3) Connecting the positive and negative of a battery creates a short circuit. Does the same circuit, with the inclusion of solar panels create the same short circuit?
4) My background is programming, not electronics. Is writing my own MPPT algorithm and wiring up a charge controller feasible, or just a ridiculous idea?
5) If a series of batteries are charged, do they all charge roughly evenly, or does the last in the chain charge first?
6) What happens if batteries are charged in a parallel configuration?
7) To charge one battery, then the next and so on, is done with a device that I believe is called a charge controller. Is this correct?
8) If this is correct, is an MPPT controller the same thing, just with the addition of the MPPT algorithm?
9) Using panels with an output of 12v, 1amp, if I were to wire them into two series of 2 parallels...Is that 24v at 2amps, or 48v at 2amps?
Please be advised, I know C++, Java, PHP and such, not electrons and protons etc. Please respond in as simple way as possible. Cheers guys.