I have a device which I originally bought in the the UK and now I'm trying to get it working in the US. The adapter that came with it is labelled as "Input: 230V AC 50Hz / Output: 9V 2000mA"

I'm curious what the effect of just plugging this in using a standard UK to US plug adapter? Would this require the full 230V to produce the correct output? I know my laptop adapter is labelled as 100-240V but I have a feeling that this is not the same.

If this won't work is there some kind of fairly cheap converter that can be used to step up the voltage?


closed as off-topic by pjc50, Transistor, brhans, Leon Heller, Voltage Spike May 23 '18 at 21:13

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions on the use of electronic devices are off-topic as this site is intended specifically for questions on electronics design." – pjc50, Transistor, brhans, Leon Heller, Voltage Spike
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Most probably you will get a much lower output voltage. \$\endgroup\$ – winny May 23 '18 at 14:46
  • \$\begingroup\$ I'm afraid there is not a cheap solution. I know some people using 110V devices in the Netherlands (220-240V) and quite heavy/big transformers are needed. \$\endgroup\$ – Michel Keijzers May 23 '18 at 15:07

It depends.

If it's an old-school "linear" power supply then likely it will produce a much-reduced voltage. If it was intended to be a regulated supply the regulation is likely to be non-functional resulting in the output volage varying with load.

If it's a switcher then it's harder to predict, it may work fine, it may do nothing, it may overheat, it may produce a reduced voltage, it may work fine at small loads but not at full load.

You could use a step-up transformer but it's adding more bulk and more losses. I expect it is probablly more economical to just replace the power brick with a universal input one.

  • \$\begingroup\$ yes, get a replacement... easier, cheaper and they are common. \$\endgroup\$ – Solar Mike May 23 '18 at 15:25
  • \$\begingroup\$ Thanks. I think I'm leaning to just trying to replace the power supply. For my own learning, is there any way to determine from the label if its a linear power supply? e.g. If the Input says input 230 does that mean it needs 230 to work, if it accepts a range it would always say something such as 100-240? \$\endgroup\$ – user1194439 May 23 '18 at 15:30
  • \$\begingroup\$ If only a single voltage is specified it means the manufacturer only gaurantees it will work at (approximately) that voltage. \$\endgroup\$ – Peter Green May 23 '18 at 15:35
  • \$\begingroup\$ Supplies marked with only 220/240V as input may not have ANY output with 110V input. \$\endgroup\$ – mike65535 May 23 '18 at 15:38

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.