I want to shorten the width of a single pulse to 50ms or 100ms width. For example, a circuit generates a positive pulse of duration 1 sec and I need to reduce its width to 50ms, synchronized to the rising edge of the input pulse. How can I do this? Thanks


What you want is called a monostable multivibrator, or one-shot for short. You set it up to trigger on the leading edge of your signal. It will the produce a pulse of fixed duration.

You set the duration with timing components, like a resistor and capacitor. There are 74xxx series chips that are intended for exactly this purpose. Look thru a selector guide.

| improve this answer | |
  • \$\begingroup\$ I would recommend to use a non retriggerable monoflop for this task. \$\endgroup\$ – Uwe Jun 24 '18 at 15:19
  • \$\begingroup\$ Thank you, can you suggest a schematic. I can calculate the rc timing. All I want is the the circuit to work when the output pulse width be shorter than the input. \$\endgroup\$ – JTrah Jun 25 '18 at 9:06
  • \$\begingroup\$ I 've managed to work with 74ls122. thanks \$\endgroup\$ – JTrah Jun 26 '18 at 11:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.