I googled deeply but couldn't find any cpu constructor simulator. I'm specifically hoping to learn about the operation of the northbridge, but When I googled "bridge simulator" or "bridge (the construction game)" is the result.
I don't want to simulate existing architectures. İ need to create my own.
Question: Do you know any free project (ideally C++) with this flexibility:
- Place ALUs, FPUs, etc arbitrarily
- Make the instruction fetcher width 8 bytes
- Allows operation with an arbitrary set of components (E.G, build a system that doesn't utilize L2/L3 cache)
- Designate instruction pipeline length
- Run the simulated hardware at various frequencies
- Can simulate a GPU (or GPUs)
Is there a utility that would allow me to experiment with hardware design in a click-and-drag CAD manner? If there isn't, how complicated would it be to make such a simulator for 8-bit systems?