enter image description here

Hello, i'm at a complete loss, have never came across that type of a ribbon cable, could anyone point me in the right direction as to the nature of the "bridge" between traces there. Cheers

  • 4
    \$\begingroup\$ It's a Flexible PCB rather than a cable. \$\endgroup\$
    – Eugene Sh.
    Commented Jul 4, 2018 at 19:07
  • \$\begingroup\$ The photo isn't good enough. Is the white thing a component or an earthing pad reinforcement that will be grounded on the equipment chassis by a screw through the flexible PCB? \$\endgroup\$
    – Transistor
    Commented Jul 4, 2018 at 19:09
  • \$\begingroup\$ I've updated the photo, and no it's not meant to be attached to the ground. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Jul 4, 2018 at 19:21
  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ It looks like it can be shorted or cut to configure something. \$\endgroup\$
    – Eugene Sh.
    Commented Jul 4, 2018 at 19:25
  • 6
    \$\begingroup\$ Again, it's a special pad to configure the PCB. It can be either shorted with a solder blob or cut apart. Unfortunately don't know the name of this, but it's rather common. \$\endgroup\$
    – Eugene Sh.
    Commented Jul 4, 2018 at 19:44

1 Answer 1


enter image description here enter image description here

One example why we use something similar:

We have a display which we use to connect to our board. The display comes with a flex foil. We also have a second source for this display from a second vendor. To identify the display vendor type we ask second vendor to short two traces. The flex foil as such is supplied by third party to both LCD vendors without bridging.

The board can easily identify the type of the display connected and load appropriate settings for the display.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.