I'm working with the LM324N op-amp. My project requires dual supply, ±16V. How can I produce negative and positive supply from a single supply source?

Some project have been using ICL7760 to obtain -5V. For my project, what IC type can I used to produce -16V?

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ What input voltages do you have? \$\endgroup\$ Aug 1, 2018 at 5:56
  • \$\begingroup\$ You need to provide more information. Tell us about the power sources you already have available and provide a schematic of your op amp circuit. \$\endgroup\$ Aug 1, 2018 at 12:15
  • \$\begingroup\$ +/- 16V is decidedly non-standard. Can you get away with +/- 15 volts, which is? Equally important, exactly how much current do you require? \$\endgroup\$ Aug 1, 2018 at 13:44
  • \$\begingroup\$ My input voltages is not fix yet. Maybe less than 20V. \$\endgroup\$
    – neechah
    Aug 2, 2018 at 1:53
  • \$\begingroup\$ Right now, temporarily, I'm using programmable power supply which can provide positive and negative voltage. However it is bulky since my final project should be in a portable shape. That's why I want to replace the power supply with something simple and less weight. \$\endgroup\$
    – neechah
    Aug 2, 2018 at 1:58

2 Answers 2


The simplest way is to get a 32v power supply then create a virtual ground halfway between VDD and GND. This can be done with a simple resistor divider, or by using an op amp, possibly buffered with mosfets.

Another option is to purchase a self contained power supply that provides positive and negative output. I didn't see any in my brief search that provide +/- 16, but I found many that provide +/- 24v, for example: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/cui-inc/PEM1-S5-D24-S/102-3031-5-ND/4006999

  • \$\begingroup\$ Thanks for your suggestion. I'm interested in your 2nd option. However the PEM1-S5-D24-S is not available at the nearest shop. Thus I need to buy online and it will take time for delivery process. So, i would like to try the 1st option. Actually, I am newbie in electric and electronic works. I would be happy and if you can provide me with schematic diagram so it will be easier to understand. Thanks in advance. \$\endgroup\$
    – neechah
    Aug 2, 2018 at 2:05

What type of IC?

Most buck regulator ICs can be used to create negative rails. connect the buck converter output to ground and buck converter ground to your negative rail.

connect input to regulator input and ground (regulator output)

you need to use a buck regulator that can withstand the difference between the input and output voltage (sum of the magnitudes of the two voltages)



Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.