Part of my circuit needs -12v. What would be the simplest way to get this, considering I have a +12v supply already available in the circuit? I need ~500ma

I searched for -12v regulators on Mouser, but many of these needed a negative voltage input.

Ideally looking for an IC that can handle this.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Related: Obtaining a -3.3v with +3.3v and ground \$\endgroup\$
    – The Photon
    Aug 2, 2018 at 22:18
  • \$\begingroup\$ Added the current. :) \$\endgroup\$
    – 19172281
    Aug 2, 2018 at 22:18
  • \$\begingroup\$ Try searching for voltage inverter or voltage converter \$\endgroup\$
    – MartinF
    Aug 2, 2018 at 22:25
  • \$\begingroup\$ There are 555 timer based inverters but not rated for 500 mA. What you need is a form of 'boost converter'. Use that as a search term. \$\endgroup\$
    – user105652
    Aug 2, 2018 at 22:32
  • \$\begingroup\$ You did not mention all avail. Input power sources \$\endgroup\$ Aug 2, 2018 at 23:03

2 Answers 2


There are a number of ways to get a negative, below ground supply.

  • Easiest: If the source is AC, uses a full-wave bridge connected opposite to that of the positive supply.
  • If DC only is available, use an inverter that may use
    • a charge pump for low currents or
    • an inductor or transformer for higher currents.

The Texas Instruments TPS54620 is a step-down (buck) converter, which can be configured to provide a voltage below ground, e.g. this circuit from Digikey.

An Analog Devices LT8331 could supply 80 mA at - 12 VDC.

LT8331 -12 VDC supply from http://www.analog.com/en/technical-articles/differences-between-the-uk-converter-and-the-inverting-charge-pump-converter.html

An inverting charge-pump such as the Microchip TC1044S can 20 mA, if that meet your needs.

It is even possible to use the 555 timer/oscillator to get -12 VDC, though regulation would not be good.

555 Negative Charge Pump from http://colourtvservicebbsr.blogspot.com/2016/04/12vdc-negative-voltage-dc-converter-by.html


You can leverage the fact that the Buck-Boost Topology is inherently inverting - these are a few examples of Reference Designs that do just that:

PMP7330 - Positive 12V to -12V (0.1A) buck-boost converter (Schematic) (Test Results) Positive 12V to -12V (0.1A) buck-boost converter

PMP7207 - Generic TPS40200 Inverting Buck Boost Reference Design (Schematic) (Test Results) Generic TPS40200 Inverting Buck Boost Reference Design

PMP2224 - Buck-boost (-12V @ 0.5A) for the TPS5430 (Schematic) (Test Results)

Buck-boost (-12V @ 0.5A) for the TPS5430


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.