I'm looking for a neat off the shelf solution to halving a voltage via a resistor network. Some kind of small module, (probably GND, signal in, signal out) that can be wired inline with a sensor that delivers 0-10V for feeding into a 0-5V ADC. I do NOT want to make my own PCB, enclosure etc. This should be something that can be dropped straight into production equipment.

I have tried googling the title desription but nothing comes up. Do such devices exist, and if so what are they called?

Thanks for the replies - the term I am looking for is "precision attenuator"

  • Something like a LT317? – Alexander von Wernherr Aug 10 at 8:34
  • 1
    At risk of sounding like I've missed the point, what about a couple of resistors of the same value? – richter Aug 10 at 8:36
  • @richter This has to go into production equipment - it can't be a couple of resistors hanging on a bit of wire. It needs terminal connections at the very least and its own enclosure – Dirk Bruere Aug 10 at 8:40
  • 1
    Maybe an L-pad attenuator might fit your needs. – richter Aug 10 at 8:48
up vote 2 down vote accepted

"wired inline with a sensor"

What cabling are you using for the sensor? You can get inline attenuators like these:

enter image description here


  • Thanks - it would be something like that except I need a precision division eg 0.1% resistors or better – Dirk Bruere Aug 10 at 9:56
  • I'm sure if you look around you will find precision parts of the same type. – Tim Mottram Aug 10 at 11:49
  • This looked pretty precise. eu.mouser.com/datasheet/2/829/… – Tim Mottram Aug 10 at 11:52

An image search for "glanded miniature terminal box" shows up the following products.

enter image description here

Figure 1. Something like this should do the trick. You need three terminals for cable termination and resistive divider component termination.

  • OP indicated they didn't want to make their own stuff... – richter Aug 10 at 9:44
  • 1
    These are ready-made. To attenuate something has to be added between the sensor and the production equipment. The OP's question is too vague to answer any better. – Transistor Aug 10 at 9:50
  • 2
    @richter OP said he didn't want to make his own PCB or enclosure. This is a ready made enclosure, and with 2 resistors its a good solution. – Steve G Aug 10 at 9:55

A terminal input module will do this. They are available in different voltage ratios. A link to one manufacturer's product of this type: https://s.campbellsci.com/documents/au/category-brochures/b_tims.pdf

The source website: https://www.campbellsci.com.au/vdiv2-1

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.