I have some questions that have been bugging me for the past few days, and I am here in hope of some help.
My Understanding of how battery works: "The battery (say 9V DC) does not store charge, it just provides voltage for the electrons in the wire to flow, causing current."
Q1) If my understanding is correct, the amount of current (AMPS) should depend on the thickness of wire, as there are more free electrons available. Is this true?
Q2) If I short the two terminals of a battery (9V DC) using a wire (of almost zero resistance) why would the wire heat up and burn? If I had used a thicker wire would the current passing through any point in the wire be greater than if I had used a thinner wire?