Being aware that IR LEDs come in various frequency-ranges, illumination intensities, sizes etc., was wondering if someone can help me identify the right type of IR LEDs, a cluster of which could potentially be used to illuminate a dark-room, s.t. I can use my standard web-cam to serve as a night-vision camera ?

Professional surveillance cameras seem to have things like "IR cut filters", which I believe are optical parts that are moved-in/out electro-mechanically, to help them work well, both in night and day. Do their optics (s.a., the lens, sensors) also have some differences, say compared to those found in commonly found webcams ?

  • \$\begingroup\$ Found an answer for the 2nd part of my question. This link here answers it well. So, what remains is to find the right kind of IR LEDs. \$\endgroup\$
    – bdutta74
    Commented Sep 11, 2012 at 6:38
  • \$\begingroup\$ Uh, looks like even the first part is answered (popped up as 'RELATED' question). Here's the answer. \$\endgroup\$
    – bdutta74
    Commented Sep 11, 2012 at 6:41

1 Answer 1


Answering my own question, as I found those on a more thorough search.

Part-1) Right kind of IR LED for the job. This SE question has some answers.

Part-2) Difference (optics, sensor) between webcam and surveillance cams. This external link has it explained quite well.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.