In this video a gentlemen turns two white screws to fix a play station 3 not turning on anymore. Could anyone tell me what these screws are, and what turning them a little bit is supposed to solve?

screen grab of the "white screws"

  • 7
    \$\begingroup\$ They look like trim pots but I can't tell what they're for. \$\endgroup\$ Sep 11, 2012 at 22:11

1 Answer 1


They are trim pots for OCP, or Over Current Protection, and PFC, or Power Factor Correction.

They are usually used to adjust things at the factory, because a batch of parts like resistors can vary slightly even though they have the same ratings.

Either they werent adjusted right at the factory, or parts may be starting to wear out requiring adjustment.

  • \$\begingroup\$ "PFC +B" might adjust the PFC output voltage? "B+" is a common label for voltage supply rails, though I have no idea why. \$\endgroup\$
    – endolith
    Nov 6, 2014 at 20:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.