One of my remote controls died recently. I'm trying to find the problem component on the board and I believe this is it. However I'm not sure what this component type is called, and more importantly, where to find another one. Help identifying it would be much appreciated!

photo showing component

  • 7
    \$\begingroup\$ Possibly a 4 MHz ceramic resonator, considering the "X1" designator. \$\endgroup\$ Oct 22, 2018 at 17:19
  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ If you don't know what the component is, how do you know it is operating incorrectly? \$\endgroup\$ Oct 22, 2018 at 19:35

2 Answers 2


From the designator (X1) that would be a crystal or oscillator of some kind.

From the shape and given that it has three pins, I'd say it is a ceramic resonator being used in an oscillator.

From the marking, most likely 4MHz.

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Oddly enough the device to the left looks like a 32KHz crystal, probably to keep a low power mode going on the remote. Crystals can get damaged if they're mechanically abused, they're not as tough as ceramic resonators. \$\endgroup\$
    – isdi
    Oct 22, 2018 at 17:23
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Having three pins suggests that this ceramic resonator includes the two capacitors used in a Pierce oscillator. Usually the high-value resistor (1Megohm) is not included....some 2-pin microcontroller oscillators have this resistor inside the chip, while others don't. \$\endgroup\$
    – glen_geek
    Oct 22, 2018 at 17:32
  • \$\begingroup\$ Looks like ebay.ca/itm/4-00MHz-4MHz-Ceramic-Resonator/… \$\endgroup\$
    – floppy380
    Oct 22, 2018 at 18:11

Ceramic resonator (3 lead type), probably 4 MHz. Fits the bill on account of the X1 board identifier (X is normally a crystal but resonators fit the bill well).

Ceramic resonators are often used in inexpensive consumer items as they're cheaper than crystals at some expense in specifications.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Welcome to EESE. Thanks for trying to help. I just want to point out that this is a pretty old question. You will probably acquire points faster if you answer newer more active questions. \$\endgroup\$
    – mkeith
    Oct 7, 2020 at 6:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.