I'm looking to buy a rotary encoder and I've stumbled upon this:

enter image description here

which I assume is an encoder stripped of its housing. My question is how would I use it? There is no shaft to turn, so I'm assuming I would need to buy the housing separately, which probably would affect accuracy. It is however much cheaper than standard encoders and has a great resolution.

EDIT: It is an AS5600 as seen on this site or this site.

  • 5
    \$\begingroup\$ Don't assume: look at the datasheet. \$\endgroup\$ Dec 7, 2018 at 14:57
  • \$\begingroup\$ Try and find the data sheet of the IC. It could be a hall-sensor (magnetic field detector) with additional circuitry to works as an encoder. Although the contacts at the top suggest otherwise. \$\endgroup\$
    – Oldfart
    Dec 7, 2018 at 14:57
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ This is a magnetic encoder (similar to this). You will need a magnet mounted on your rotating part such that it will be above the sensor. It's a mechanical design. \$\endgroup\$
    – Eugene Sh.
    Dec 7, 2018 at 15:04
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ please add the part number from the chip to your question .... the image is unclear ........... for future reference, provide all information in your question if you want a speedy answer \$\endgroup\$
    – jsotola
    Dec 7, 2018 at 19:00

1 Answer 1


Looks like it's an AS5600. You just need a magnet positioned above it, there are Hall sensors inside, that are compared for strength in two axes and the position calculated (the arctan of the ratio of the two).

There's an eval kit from the manufacturer, which shows the mechanical arrangement for its intended use - volume controls or rotary switches. enter image description here


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.